Saturday, April 17, 2010

Pursuing my Passion

In 2007, IBM CEO announced a new program called Corporate Service Corps. The Corporate Service Corps (CSC) exposes high performance IBM employees to the 21st century context -- doing business in emerging markets, global teaming, diverse cultures, working outside the traditional office, and increased societal expectations for more responsible and sustainable
business practices. CSC participants perform community-driven economic development projects in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe and Latin America, working at the intersection of business, technology and society. Its a win-win deal for both IBM and local enterprises. IBM will develop leadership skills in its high performing employees and NGOs will inturn get consulting advise and technical solutions from IBM Experts for free.

The selection process was stringent as more than 10,000 employees from all over the world had applied for just 500 positions. The selection was based on past performance appraisal results, experience, skills, community activities etc. When the program was launched, I was curious to apply and take part in it. I applied for it and waited anxiously for the results to be announced.

On the day, when the results were announced, I checked my email and guess what ? I was selected for the program. It was one of the happiest moments in my life.
The routine work such as fixing software defects/bugs, writing code for operating system, testing solutions etc does not directly connect to socio-economic development effort such as poverty alleviation, unemployment reduction etc. So I was waiting for an opportunity like this where I can directly work with Small Enterprises/NGOs and apply my skills to make an impact to their organizations. Since my college days, I always wanted to apply my intelligence and computer expertise to make a difference in the world. Either by improvising an existing product/service or inventing a new solution to problems. I had devised a smart shopping solution in my third year of engineering project and competed in various contests.

With the selection for CSC, I felt as though I got the real opportunity to pursue my passion. Since that day, I dreamed everyday about my project, in country experience and work I would be doing etc. I was following all the news, updates and stories about other CSC participants which gave me a better idea on kind of work I can expect. I started preparing for the project myself by collecting all relevant materials etc. It looked as though I was waiting for that opportunity all my life.
More on my CSC experiences in the next blog.....

No comments:

Post a Comment